The summer berry season provides delicious and refreshing fruit, and sweet strawberries are at the top of our list because they taste divine. But equally as important they are also loaded with skin protecting antioxidant properties. The recipe uses fresh fruit and minimizes the amount of sugar used to allow the strawberry‘s natural taste to shine like a bowl full of summer.
This is a light and refreshing dish that is easy to make and can be served at the beginning of meal, or as a dessert. Now you can take your antioxidant medicine with a smile on your face as you get taste, presentation and wellness all in a single, sexy dish.
- 1lb strawberries, rinsed and hulled
- 1 Tbsp sugar, plus more to taste
- Juice and zest of 1 small orange
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1/3 – 2/3 cup milk
- Mint, for garnish
- Roughly chop strawberries and place in a small sauce pan with sugar, orange juice, zest, and water. Simmer for 15-20 minutes, squashing the strawberries into sauce with your spoon until they break down into a thick sauce.
- Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature. Taste for sweetness and add additional sugar if necessary.
- Place chilled strawberries, yogurt and 1/4 cup milk in a blender. Puree. Stream in additional milk to get to the desired consistency. Chill until very cold, serve garnished with mint.
Yields: ~2 cups